24 February 2006

16-APR-2005

I found this on my Palm pilot.
I wrote it while visiting my grandparents n Florida before I came here.
That which is parenthesis is what I’ve inserted for clarification.

16-APR-2005
Today I read a book about (General) Norman Schwarzkopf.
It made me think long and hard about my future and whether or not the military is right for me.
Why would I want to dedicate such a large portion of my life to being a solider?
Why do I want to study and excel in the art of war?
War is two opposing sides, each with the potential (and intent) to cause much harm to each other,
and (potentially) innocent bystanders.

Why do I want to take up a profession were it is my job and duty to kill other human beings?
It is not for the glory.
No medal or amount of recognition is worth taking another man's life.
It is not for the money.
Even the most highly trained solider still gets paid the same as the guy who sweeps the floors.
(Either way, it’s not that much)
It is not for the lifestyle.
No one wants to move every other year just because his boss says so.
(Or to be able to pick up and go across the world in 24 hrs notice.)
(Or to separated from one’s family for the extended periods of time required by job)

After thinking long and hard about the reason why.
I've come to this conclusion.
I chose to fight so that others won't have to.
I chose to fight to protect the freedoms of others.
I chose to fight so that others may live.
I will go into battle to take the life of another solider so that he cannot take the life of someone else.
I will kill others to save the life of someone I may never know.
I will be the cause of their death to protect the freedoms of others.
(It seems to make more sense to kill a few corrupted individuals before they can cause the deaths of many more innocent people)

War is not all guts and glory. (Like in the movies)
It is having to take the life of another man to save the lives and freedom of others.
I know I will hate every minute of my service, but I will persevere so that someone else won't have to.
(Maybe not hate every part of my job, but I won’t be enjoying killing people)
This is my calling; doing the difficult for others.
It is the next logical step in my life; the continuation of my service to others.
I cannot think of a better way to serve.
I will go and do what everyone hates, but has to (must) be done.
I will fight them enemies of freedom abroad so they will not have to be fought at home.

(The following is my reflection on what I wrote in April)
We had to memorize a quote by Schwarzkopf.

“A professional solider understands that war means killing people,
war means maiming people,
war means families left without fathers and mothers.
All you have to do is hold your first dying solider in your arms
and have that terribly futile feeling that his life flowing out
and you can’t do anything about it.
Then you understand the horror of war.
Any solider worth his salt should be anti-war.
And still there are things worth fighting for.”

Robert E. Lee said something to the effect of
“It is well that war should be so terrible,
Or we should become fond of it.”

I don’t think there’s anything else to say.
I’m gonna hate the purpose of my job,
But it has to be done.

11 comments:

RobertDWood said...

Thank you!

and for another quote:
"War is Hell" -Gen. Sherman.

Meghan said...

Thanks Jason, thanks a ton

TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

I didn't put this up for the thanks,
I'm nothing special.
I put it up so that people who think that we enjoy killing innocent peope,
That we're blood thirsty, mindless troopers who are killing machines,
People wh call us "baby killers",
Have an idea of what goes through at least one of our minds.

Meghan said...

hey, you maybe one person but get use to the thanks. People are going to offer them whenever you wear the uniform or talk about your service. You may not have done if for them, but you're going to get them. And personally every soldier should get at least one thanks a day. WE don't treat them right at all. Those people who call soldiers, you guys, 'baby killers' don't deserve to be called americans or deserve the freedom that you guys protect! If they want all that stuff they should at least respect you!

Ok, I'm done ranting now... heh

TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

That's fine,
thank you,
but I'd much rather just fit in with the group than stand out like that.
As much as like interacting with people,
I don't like the attention.
I'd rather stick out for who I am,
As opposed to being part of a category.

Carey said...

Jason, if you were here right now, I'd hug you. (Now you're going to run when you see me.)

RobertDWood said...

It's coming.

Yeah. Just treat a soldier like anyother american? You must be jesting.

TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

Is it too much to ask?
BTW I haven't done anything yet.
You do know that,
Right?

Anonymous said...

Jason,
Your making your mama cry. That is really awsome and I am so proud of you for commiting the next 5 to 10 years of your life to protecting people you don't even know. Your life is in God's hands and He's will is perfect. I love you.

Mom

P.S. I hope I did't embaress you.

TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

No mom,
you didn't embaress me.
Thanks for posting.
Sorry I made you cry,
But I have a feeling that'll happen any time I share my true feelings.
BTW It'll probably be more than 10 yrs.

Carey said...

I think I'm going to cry too.