02 March 2006

Altitude Chamber

I just got back from the Altitude Chamber.
They took a group of us down to Peterson Air Force Base to do it.
They put us in a room and sucked the air out of it to simulate high altitudes.
The idea was to see how we react to lack of oxygen (Hypoxia).
(Since everyone reacts differently)
Symptoms of Hypoxia include light headedness, fatigue, nausea, headache, dizziness, hot & cold flashes, euphoria, belligerence, blurred vision, numbness and tingling.
Each person gets a different set of symptoms.
Some can pass out.

So,
We got our oxygen masks and helmets and went into the chamber.
It looked like those helmets and masks that fighter pilots wear.
They decompressed the chamber to simulate 25,000 feet.
They had us take off our masks so we could get familiar with our symptoms.
It got really weird.
I passed out and they had to decompress the chamber so the medical team could get in.
Then every one got the bends and had to spend six hours in decompression.
Just Kidding.
All I got was light headedness.
It didn’t feel any different than staying awake for 48 hours.

Over all,
I had a good time.
I didn’t get high like they said I would,
But I got to spend a day away from the Academy.

4 comments:

RobertDWood said...

Haha. I liked the first story better!
You could have been at rest in the hospital.

TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

Now where's the fun in that.

RobertDWood said...

You would be at rest for longer then 5 minutes.

Carey said...

I would have pretended to pass out.